Grayson's quilt - the finish!

Now onto the quilting of Grayson's quilt. I had decided that the free motion quilting (where you lower the feed dogs on your machine and are responsible for moving the fabric and making a fun design all by your self) was too hard and I would just do straight lines for this first quilt. Well, I did one line and since my blocks didn't match up perfectly, it just looked bad. SO, I decided the free motion quilting might actually be a little more forgiving. All the information I saw online says to practice, practice, practice the free motion quilting before you do it on your final quilt. Well, being the impatient and highly imperfect crafter that I am...I decide to just wing it. Needless to say, it is not perfect. Some parts look really good and some could use some improvement. If I was a perfectionist, I would have take several sections out and started again. But I am far from being perfectionist and so I continued on...wanting just to get it done. Overall, I am very happy with it. But alas, I jump ahead. After I was finished quilting, which took a long time, used up a TON of thread, and probably drove my husband nuts from the incessant noise (as I sew at the kitchen table), I needed to bind the quilt, also something I had never done before. I made a pieced binding from the extra 2.5" strips I already had cut out. I followed the Red Barn quilt along instructions for binding which were very good. Sorry to say though, I didn't really grasp the blind stitch until the last 1/4 of the quilt. Oh well. It still turned out nice I think. I really like that binding technique. So now Grayson's quilt is finished and he just needs to get old enough where he can sleep with heavier blanket without me worrying that he will suffocate himself. So here is it is the finished quilt. There are lots of pictures...it's my first quilt, give me a break.

The finished product
Close up of my stiching and my binding

The pieced backing and a close up of a couple blocks
So that's it. Now, what should my next project be?

Grayson's quilt..the middle

After finishing quite a few quilt blocks I decided to see how big they were going to be compared to the crib size batting I had. The directions from the quilt along were for a larger quilt so I wasn't sure how many of these blocks I would need. It turns out I had enough block before I even used up all my cut up fabric strips. Yay! This left me enough to use the remaining fabric to make the backing from the uncut fabric I had and to make a pieced binding from the strips I already had cut out. Then, I laid everything out for my quilt sandwich: backing wrong side up (I duct taped it to by kitchen floor to keep it straight), then the batting, and finally, the quilt top, right side up. I then safety pinned it all together. Not a fun step. This is what the backing and quilt top looked like before the sandwich making took place.
But now for the hard part. The scary part. The part that has stopped me from ever making a quilt before. The actual quilting....